The sample tracking module allows you to automate your entre sample request handling process, from the rep or customer making the initial request, to the RSM and/or marketing approving it, all the way till final shipment.
Please keep the following concepts in mind when coming up with your requirements for this module.
- Samples can be optionally tied to Opportunities, or can handled at the customer and part level.
- You can specify an approval policy for samples based on criteria such as sample quantity etc. The NEHANET Services team will implement what is possible out of the box and let you know of the difference. Similarly, you can specify sample email rules so that they can be configured in your system.
- Samples can be shipped to the End Customer or to the Rep. You can also specify the source location for the samples if applicable. You can also generate a printable invoice for the sample generated for shipping purposes.
- You can optionally show Accounts, Parts and Opportunities fields in the sample request module and use them for reports, etc.
Samples and Opportunities
Samples can be tied to Opportunities or can be directly requested at the Customer/Part level. In either case, the Sales Rep Contact and Sales Disti contact data will be pulled from Opportunities/Accounts to the samples edit page.
- Creating a Sample with Opportunity: If you create a sample with Opportunity then the Sales Rep contact or Sales Disti contact data will be pulled from the corresponding Opportunity and will show(in Customer Information section in Samples) as read only in Samples edit page.
- Creating a Sample without Opportunity: If you create a sample with Opportunity then the Sales Rep contact or Sales Disti contact data will be pulled from the corresponding Account and will show (in Customer Information section in Samples) as read only in Samples edit page.
In both these above scenarios, user can pick “Ship Via” and send it to either Customer directly or Originator of the Sample etc.
How do I ship a sample request to the CM (Manufacturing) location?
If you have an opportunity for a Customer X which has the CM as Y, you should have already assigned Y as the CM in the X’s opportunity. Now when you sample this opportunity, there is an option to “Ship To Manufacturing” or CM location. Once you pick that it automatically pulls in the information of the CM from the Opportunity.
Best practices – Drive to zero Samples filter
Sales Managers often require their Regional Managers and Reps to review/update all Open Sample requests on a daily basis. To achieve that objective, you can create a search filter in Samples module where the Status field for the Quote is set to “In Approval”. In addition, you can make this the default filter, so when you click on the Samples tab, you automatically get the Samples that are to be reviewed/approved. As you work thru the Samples and review/update them, it will automatically go out of your Samples filter.
This is a recommended way of using the Samples module since it enforces a discipline within the organization to review/update the Samples that are awaiting your Approval. We like to call it “Drive to zero Samples filter”.
Please provide your sample log spreadsheet as the first step in configuring this module to your requirements.
If you currently ship samples from the ERP system, then NEHANET can be integrated such that the list of approved samples are uploaded to the ERP system on a periodic basis. Please let us know if this is an immediate or possible long term requirement.