The latest release of the NEHANET CRM has a built in Rules Engine. Rules Engine are software components that execute business rules that are externalized from the application code. The externalization allows the business users to modify the rules frequently without the need for a software upgrade. The system as a whole becomes more flexible, although QA and testing is still required.
To access the Rules Engine, click on Admin->Rules Engine. Here you can do three things:
1. Manage Rules – Create, Edit, Delete rules
2. View the Execution log
3. View the change history
Rules have a life cycle. When you create a new rule, you would put them as a Development rule to allow you to work out the details. Once the rule has been tested, you can activate the rule. Once a rule is active, it will execute as specified and you can view the execution log. Once you determine it is no longer needed, you can inactivate the rule.
There are two type of rules you can create now.
1. One is a Assignment Rules, where you assign the source value to the target.
2. The second type is a Procedural Rule, which will allow you to trigger a rule based on a condition and compute target value(s) based on certain source value(s). In this case, you need to write a procedure, drop it in the database and invoke it from the rules engine.
The rules engine can be used in a variety of application. Some examples include:
1. If you maintain the cost information, in the parts master, the rules engine will let you compute the margin for every quote as they get created.
2. If you utilize the Leads module in NEHANET and capture the Lead Source, the Lead Source information can be propagated To Contacts and to Opportunities, so you can run a Opportunity report by Lead Source. This will allow you to compute the ROI for your marketing campaigns.
There are many such application for the rules engine. If you would like to deploy a rule in your system, please contact us.